John B. & Joan H. Carley Business Scholarship
The John B. & Joan H. Carley Business Scholarship was established in 2006 by John B. and Joan H. Carley. John Carley began working at Albertson’s in 1950 as a 16-year-old ice cream dipper and retired 46 years later as its president and chief operating officer. After working as a store director in Albertson’s stores in Idaho, Montana, and Washington John quickly ascended the corporate ladder, serving in operating positions in Seattle and Southern California. He was elected to the board of directors in 1979 and named Albertson’s president in 1984. John has also been very active in civic affairs, he served as the director of St. Luke’s Regional Medical Center, Director of the Idaho Power Company, Director of Western Association of Food Chains, Director of Boise Cascade Office Products Corporations, Director of MDI, and Advisor for the School Business at Boise State University.
In order to be eligible for this scholarship students must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 2.85 GPA
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior
- Graduated from Bishop Kelly High School
- Preference for Idaho residents and US citizens
- Plan to enroll full-time (12 undergraduate credits)
- Pursuing a major within the College of Business and Economics
- Financial need may be considered. We can determine your financial need by the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Applicants must submit an essay and letter of recommendation.
- Supplemental Questions
- I certify that I am of good moral character and drug free and will maintain my moral character and drug free status throughout the duration of the scholarship award.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher/professor or counselor/advisor by entering the name and email below. Freshmen are required to make the request from a high school teacher or counselor. Sophomores or juniors are required to make the request from a current Boise State professor or advisor.
- Submit a 1-2-page essay addressing why you chose to attend Boise State University and why you should be chosen for the John & Joan Carley Business Scholarship. Please also discuss high school honors and activities, work history during high school, description of career goals, and why you are requesting financial assistance. Please upload as a single Word or PDF document (8 MB max file size) using your name and Boise State student ID number as the filename. Do not use any special characters in the file name including periods, hyphens, apostrophes, etc. You should also include your full name and Boise State student ID number on the header of each page. To save as PDF: For Microsoft users: From Word document click File, Save As, and then click PDF or XPS. For Mac users: Choose print, click on PDF in the bottom-left of the Print menu, and Save as PDF.